Sewing encompasses a wide variety of tasks. It includes within itself a wide array of tasks ranging from sewing a button to manufacturing garments. Home sewing is basically confined to the very basic works of sewing. But with a little bit of knowledge & help you can sew complete clothing ranges of awesome quality at your home itself. You just need to follow the steps mentioned below & sew your way to people’s hearts.
Things you will need:
- A sewing machine
- Basic Knowledge of sewing
- Fabric Marker (Called Tailor’s Chalk)
- Fabrics of your choice
- Seam ripper
- Fabric Scissors (sharper than regular scissors)
- Sewing needle
- Tape Measure
- First you need to take measurements of the person who you are sewing the clothes for. Take the measurements correctly. Incorrect measurements can lead to clothes not fitting the person properly. Write the measurements down on a piece of paper.
- Choose patterns in which you want to sew the clothes. The pattern you choose should correspond to the measurements you have taken earlier.
- Spread the pattern pieces on the floor. Now cut them out according to the measurements you have. You can also trace the pattern on a pattern paper before you start cutting them out.
- Unfold your fabric & iron it properly. Ironing is done to ensure that there are no wrinkles on your fabric.
- Spread the fabric over the cutting surface. Put the cut pattern pieces over the fabric. Make sure that the grain marks on the pattern lines up with the grain marks of the fabric. Otherwise you will make mistakes cutting your fabric according to the measurements.
- Trace the pattern shapes on to the fabric with the help of a tailor’s chalk. When it’s done, carefully, remove the pattern pieces from the fabric.
- Cut the fabric according to the drawn lines. Clip the fabric from stopping it move so that you can cut it out correctly. Clipping it also keeps the fabric wrinkle free.
- Sew the different pieces of the fabric together with the help of a sewing machine. This part of the work can also be done by hand. But using a sewing machine will make it easier & less stressful & will also sew the clothes with some finesse.
- Try on the garment to see if it needs any adjustments. While trying turn the garment inside out so that the seams are facing outwards. Mark the areas where it needs to be adjusted.
- Take off the garment & start making the adjustments it needs by re-sewing the areas where the adjustments are needed. Follow this if the fit of the garment is loose.
- If the garment fit is tighter than what you had hoped for then carefully mark the areas where it needs adjustments. Take off the shirt & carefully pick out the seams of those areas with the help of a seam ripper. Keep in mind that while picking out the seams don’t tear the fabric. Sew those areas again but this time loosely. Repeat these steps until the time the clothes fit.
- Iron the piece of garment again & you are ready to rock the world with it.