Sewing technology has come a long way over the last hundred years, and on the market today are many different types of sewing machines for all levels and types of sewing enthusiasts.
Basic machine, complex machines, computerized machines – you name it, you can probably find it.
That is kind of tough for consumers though, because how are we supposed to be able to figure out which of these many types of sewing machines is a good fit for us?
To start with, we must answer a few questions about ourselves and our own personal approaches to sewing.
Billie’s Craft Room has a great list of questions to use as a starting point:
- What do you want to make?
- What comes with the machine?
- What extra feet or accessories are available for your choice of machine and how much do they cost?
- Budget, have a figure in mind that you are hoping to spend, then do some research as to what is available for that price.
- Do you know anyone else who sews, who you could ask about the machine they use?
Read these of their article to see how they approach each of these questions, it’s very informative for prospective buyers.